Pages

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Whatever is…Wednesday

"Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things." Philippians 4:8

Sorry everyone, but today I'm breaking my policy of silence in the public forum regarding politics. As I'm writing out Philippians 4:8 for this weekly post on positive things, my thoughts go to the current presidential election. I think I am not alone when I say that I'm ready for it to be over because both parties have taken a very negative approach to campaigning, and their supporters have followed suit. I think it's very important to teach our children (and ourselves) that it is right for us to have political views, and we can share them with others. We are blessed to live in a country that allows us to do that. However, it is never appropriate to belittle a political leader or candidate, even if you do not believe in their strategies, ideas, or morals. These men and women are mothers and fathers, sons and daughters, husbands and wives, and, more importantly, image-bearers of the Lord. We need to have respect for people as human beings when we speak of them. We also need to remember that we have been called to pray for our leaders.

"I urge then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession, and thanksgiving be made for everyone--for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness."
I Timothy 2:1-2

 Maybe the problem is that we who have been called to pray for our current leaders are too busy insulting them. Imagine what could happen if we obeyed. I rarely pray for the President and the other leaders of our country. Last night, as I was listening to the First Lady's speech, I was convicted to do so, no matter who wins this election. Running a country is a big job, and I believe that no one truly wants to run America into the ground. So, let's support our leaders through prayer.

On to more praiseworthy things:

-My husband and I took advantage of the 3-day weekend and visited our families in Tennessee and Arkansas. We had a great time, even though our visit was too short, and we returned to a messy apartment that was still devoid of groceries and clean laundry.

But, I got to see this guy (my nephew):


And this guy (my cousin):


Totally worth it. (That last picture is old. It's difficult to photograph a 2 year old, especially one that always seems to be running.)

-Today I had the day off, so I worked on something new for my shop. It was wonderful because it turned out exactly the way I wanted it to. I love it when ideas actually work. I plan to list it Friday, but here's a sneak peak:


Be sure to check back on Friday for the finished product and a little story to go with it.


-One final good thing, and it's a big one. Last week, I learned that the scans for my friend's brother-in-law had come back positive for cancer, and the doctors were worried the cancer had to spread to his organs. He nearly lost his battle with cancer the first time back in 2008, so this news was very scary. This week, I found out that the cancer had not spread to his organs, the doctors had removed the cancerous cells, and the new scans had come back negative!!

Please, feel free to share your Philippians 4:8 things in the comments. I love reading about the positive things going on in other people's lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment